Tired of scouring the internet for incomplete, incorrect or out of date information about Tenerife?
TENERIFE GURU is your ultimate guide to Tenerife, covering everything you need to know about our amazing island.

Applying for your Spanish Criminal Record Certificate

LAST EDITED: 14th May 2018

Anyone having spent time in Spain (resident or non-resident) has the right to apply for a certificate detailing their Spanish criminal record file (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales).

An example certificate can be viewed HERE:


For those living in Tenerife (or Spain in general), you can apply for the certificate in three ways:    1) online,  2) in person at a designated office, or   3) by post.

The three options/procedures are detailed below.

For those living outside Spain (or those unable to apply online or in person) the application can only be made by post.

N.B. The standard certificate is no longer valid for any position/role working with minors. In such instance, the applicant will require a

Sexual Offences Certificate – http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/Portal/en/ciudadanos/tramites-gestiones-personales/certificado-delitos

N.B. Where an official administrative or government office in Spain is asking for your criminal record history, a personal application is not necessary, as there is a dedicated authorisation form that you can complete and give to such bodies, allowing them to conduct a criminal records search against your name. The standard authorisation form can be downloaded HERE:

1) ONLINE – Personally applying Online for your own Certificate

The application for the certificate can be completed online HERE together with payment of the fee:

N.B. Online applications will require that you have a ‘Digital Signature’ installed on your computer or device. Information and instructions on obtaining a Digital Certificate in Spain can be found HERE:

2)  IN PERSON – Applying for your own Certificate by Appointment

Typically when applying in person, the certificate is issued ‘while you wait’. However, in very busy periods, it may not be ready for up to 3 working days, in which case a return visit to the same office may be required.

In Tenerife, personal applications can be made by advance appointment at:

Gerencia Territorial de Justicia

San Antonio 24

Santa Cruz de Tenerife


Tel:  922291634

Fax: 922291964

email: gerencia.tenerife@mju.es

A map showing the approximate office location can be found here:


N.B. The fee must be paid on the 790 Application Form at a participating Spanish bank prior to the appointment (currently €3.74 as of May 2018).

3)   BY POST – Applying by post / applying from outside Spain

Applicants by post within Spain (or by non-Spaniards living outside Spain) will need:

1. A legalised/apostilled photocopy of your passport (the photocopy must first be certified by any Notary before it is legalised);

2. Completed Form 790;

3. Pay the application fee (currently €3.74 as of May 2018)

The application fee must be paid in advance in one of two ways. It can be paid by bank transfer to the government’s Spanish account, or it can be paid in person at an overseas branch of a Spanish affiliated bank. Full details of the options and the payment/proof of receipt procedure can be found in English HERE:

To legalise your passport, first take the original passport to any local Notary in your own country, who will certify a copy. Then send that copy off for Legalisation. Links for legalisation options in the UK and Ireland can be found here:

UK –           https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Ireland –   https://www.dfa.ie/travel/our-services/authenticating-documents/

Once everything is ready, the application, legalised ID, plus payment receipt must then be posted to:

Oficina Central de Atención al Ciudadano del Ministerio de Justicia

Sección de certificados de penales

Calle de la Bolsa 8

Madrid 28012


N.B. If the certificate is required for use outside Spain, then it must first be legalised/apostilled in Spain. The procedure for legalising a Criminal Records Certificate in Spain can be found in English HERE: